Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

2nd 9 weeks-Week 1

K5- Parts of a book
I love having a SmartBoard in my room for library lessons!!! If you haven't ever used Smart Exchange it is full of so many wonderful resources. Just type in what you are looking for and it will come up with things related to your topic. I knew I had found a resource here last year that taught parts of a book as being similar to parts of your body.

For this lesson I first had the students label me....They came up with arms, legs, ears, eyes, hair, toes, mouth and nose of their own. We talked about all of these parts where on the front part of my body. I then turned around and had them tell me that this was the back part of my body. I was shocked and surprised when I pointed to my spine and one of the students shouted out...that's your spine.

After the students labeled me we went on to look at the parts of the book using the lesson I had found on Smart Exchange. It compares a cover to your skin, the title page to your face and the spine to this actual part of your body. I love that this lesson really relates to little kids because they can identify these parts of their body.

To finish up the lesson I found a worksheet where they had to label the parts of a book by tracing the words. The students always have a few free moments to look at books. I can really tell our book care lessons are working. They are treating the books the correct way. Yippee! Small victory. I am going to start allowing them to check out books the last week in October.

When do you start letting K5 students check out books?! What do you think is important to cover before they do begin the process?

1st grade- Stellaluna
I just love the story of Stellaluna at Halloween time. We made bats for our bulletin board outside the library because this month we are Batty for Books. The bat is actually a puppet and I had the students write on the outside. Stellaluna can eat fruit. Stellaluna can fly at night. Stellaluna is a mammal. We compare and contrasted Stellaluna to the bats in the story also.

2nd grade- Dictionary skills
I introduced the dictionary with a short PowerPoint. We discussed how the dictionary is organized in ABC order much like the books in our library. We talked about guide words at the top of the page. After the mini lesson they went to the dictionary and found 10 fall words. They had to write the word, tell the page they found it on and then write the guide words. This was a little tricky for some of my 2nd graders.

3rd and 4th grade- Dictionary dude, using the idea from The Book Bug we made dictionary dudes. You can find the idea here. http://mrsnthebookbug.blogspot.com/2013/09/dictionary-skills.html

5th grade- Finish explorer project and dictionary dude

No comments:

Post a Comment