Popular Posts

Monday, June 25, 2012

What's New in the Library

As summer time is upon us..I can lay around by the pool and read when I am not straightening the library.

I have organized all the fiction books into baskets and am sorting through the Dewey nonfiction sections now. Wow did we have alot that I needed to weed. You master librarians who have been at it a while now, how do you decide what to weed and what to keep?

I will post pictures of my library soon.

I ordered several new books from Scholastic.


I would love to know what series your students are loving right now. I want to start my first linky party by having you link up and write in the comments what series are must haves!

Thanks
Kelli

4 comments:

  1. Here's a link to a list of Series favorites I have at my school. I call the section Wildcat Favorites because our mascot is a wildcat. It is by far the most popular section in the Media Center. Hope it helps! =) Share and Share Alike (with list of Wildcat Favorites)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two series that gained popularity in my library this year are Swindle by Gordon Korman and 43 Old Cemetery Road by Kate Klise. The first book in both series was on our state book award list, so that first books hooked the kids. Then they came back to check out the rest of the series! Love your new blog! Cant' wait to hear more from you!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first summer as librarian I weeded 6,000 books! Anything ugly, dirty, torn went first and then I ran reports of books that had not been checked out in many years. Now I try to take a section at a time and weed through the year. A few series that my kids love are The Last Apprentice, Warriors, Matched, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, anything Rick Riordan, Twilight; nonfiction series like Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, Haunted Places, Graphic survival stories. Welcome to the best job in the school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara what did you really decide to weed? I have weeded some because they are falling apart or simply don't look to interesting or honestly seem to be to wordy. Something the kids are not going to choose off the shelf. I will be teaching K5-5th graders. I am still trying to find in our system how to determine when a book was last checked out.

      I am excited about my new position. I look forward to following your blog also.

      Delete