Popular Posts

Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Library is Open This Summer

Our library is open for the summer!!

As a young child, I spend my summers at the local library doing their programs and reading books. If I ever asked for a toy, my Mom would sometimes say yes, but most often would say you can get a book. I grew up being read to, and know this is why I love reading now. I will never forget the summer at my local library when the theme was "Follow the Yellow Brick Road." My grandmother had given me the video for a holiday that year and I love Dorothy and ToTo. These characters appeared at the library that year and we read lots of Disney and fairy tale books. What little girl doesn't dream of her perfect fairy tale? Outside my public library they painted a yellow brick road...You can still see a little bit of it today almost 20 years later.

Needless, to say I was very nervous to open the library this summer! This will be my first year as the librarian at the school. I have been very very busy weeding and organizing books. Several students didn't turn in books from this previous school year. I made an incentive for children to come to the library this summer and hope to have a reading program in the future at my library similiar to "Follow the Yellow Brick Road."

Have any of you ever opened your library in the summer? What worked? What would you have changed differently?

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

1 comment:

  1. I've tried opening the library but most of our kids do not have a ride so this year I tried summer check out. Kids had to get signed permission and be in good standing with fines. I allowed them to check out ten books. We will see how that went when we return.

    ReplyDelete