Popular Posts

Friday, August 30, 2013

Week 3

5th grade- Nearpod and Skitch apps

My 5th grade class comes twice a week. I first assessed them on the parts of a book. I just wanted to get a basic idea for what they remembered from previous year's lessons in the library.

Tuesday I decided to try using the app NearPod with them as I presented. It was really nice because the students could look at their devices and follow along with me. I feel sometimes when they sit on the carpet and look at the SmartBoard they are not always engaged. I used this PowerPoint converted it to a PDF and then shared it on the app NearPod.  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tonibuzzeo.com%2Fbookslibrarydoorspartsofabook.ppt&ei=4vAcUpWhOOHa2AXq1IGgCw&usg=AFQjCNEFfZUb6UI-2dBuP_Do_ksof9QkUw&sig2=pySFn1eM9nKlWBuwH1L2uA&bvm=bv.51156542,d.b2I
Yes my 5th graders know these basic parts of the book but it was a good review. Not a single one of them knew what an ISBN code was so...they all learned at least one new thing. I teach my 5th graders about prologue, epilogue and appendix this year but that will come later in September.

Using Skitch...Wednesday and Thursday my 5th graders used the app Skitch. They were given a choice of 3 picture books and 2 chapter books on their tables. They choose a book to do their parts of a book project on. They had to meet certain criteria pre-determined by me. They get a participation and conduct grade in library. I have expectations of how I want projects completed though.

They first had to take pictures of the parts of a book. Then they used the app Skitch to label the parts of a book. I love this app because it allows them to have some creativity with labeling. They can choose the color of their text, boxes, arrows, etc.

2nd, 3rd and 4th grade- David Shannon PowerPoint

Our author of the month is David Shannon. I used the following PowerPoint to introduce this author to our class. We talked about biography and what that term meant. We will study biographies later in the year. After the presentation we filed out an author study worksheet http://www.sanchezclass.com/reading-graphic-organizers.htm that I will keep in a folder. At the end of the year they will have an author study booklet with all the authors we studied this year.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CD8QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2F5thgradeauthorstudies.wikispaces.com%2Ffile%2Fview%2F211-David%2BShannon.ppt&ei=z1wfUpPdJfK72QXkioDYDw&usg=AFQjCNF0bbsUjK38525cTagIlI8dfI_m8Q&sig2=zi9kFd0CNPgkZ3R3FQPPXQ

2nd grade....did not fill out the author study worksheet. Instead I read the book Duck Rides a Bike to them and we sequenced the story.

This is an important first grade skill that we work a ton on, but it was a great review for them from last year. I still have a few that had trouble putting the story in order. We will continue to work on this skill.











1st grade- Book Care...bag of NO's


I opened my 1st grade lesson by reading The Library Dragon.  We discussed what type books would have dragons in them. (Fiction/Fairy Tales)
As I read the story we talked about how it is important to have story time in the library and why I do this each time they come in. I always start off by reading a book.

Then I continued my lesson with my bag of NO'S. I had a bag hidden from the children with things in it that we don't want around our library books ever. Last week we talked about book care so this was a review of what we need to keep away from our books to protect them. Each time I pulled something out of my bag...the students said NO NO NEVER if it was something they shouldn't have around library books.

We finished out the lesson by doing some worksheets from Library Skills about library citizenship.

K5- Library Lion

Library Lion is one of my favorite read alouds to do at the beginning of the school year! Our school mascot is the Lion so it fits perfectly. The kids LOVE to ROAR and act like LIONS! I love that Mr. McBee gets so upset over a lion being in the library but in the end realizes that he wasn't really causing problems at all. Miss Merriweather even in the end breaks the rules by running. Even though it talks about how it is OK to break the rules sometimes we have to remember when it is OK and not OK. We also talk about how not to be a tattletale and remember to be quiet in the library we can't ROAR!

The students colored a Library Lion sheet after we finished the story. I found this resource at a fellow bloggers website Library Patch. Thanks so much!

http://www.librarypatch.com/2013/07/library-orientation-for-kinders.html

No comments:

Post a Comment